Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Resolutions...What was I thinking!?!?!?

The start of another year brings new years resolutions. Each year they always look the same for me. Exercise more, eat healthy, work out, don’t eat fat, don’t eat sugar, go to the gym everyday, and the list goes on until it starts repeating its self.

Well this year I thought I’d take a little different approach. This year as a mother and care taker of my family I thought I’d make a new years resolution one that would benefit them as well. So on January 1, 2010 I posted this as my Facebook status update:

New Years Resolution: To cook more things from scratch, and use as little processed food as possible. No more frozen pizza or box mac-n-cheese.

Uh-oh…what have I just signed up to do? I like to cook, but I don’t. I like eating healthy, but I don’t. I like fresh produce and fruit, but all that takes time. What do I like? I like quick convenient dinners. I like meals that take no thought. I like the food to just appear on the table with out any effort from me. But this year, this year with a new years resolution to keep, I will be putting effort into the things I cook. I will be thoughtful about the type of ingredients I use. And hopefully in the end I my family and will reap the rewards of knowing we have put only what’s best into our bodies.

Now Rome wasn’t built in a day and I know myself well enough that if I throw away all my mac-n-cheese, taquitos and burger buns I would also throw in the towel and call it quits after one meal. So I’m starting slow. I have visions of entirely home cooked meals. Home made bread, fresh fruit juice and a steaming casserole straight from the oven. But until then it will be baby steps for me. I need to get me feet wet first, and see how I do at this whole cooking thing. I consider these baby steps the building blocks of Rome.

So here’s to 2010, a year of creating meals naturally, using whole foods and learning how to cook in a whole new way.

3 comments:

Harward Family said...

Good luck! I wish I was as motivated as you... I am horrible at cooking!

Lynn @Mama_Says said...

Baby steps is a perfect way to begin. I embraced cooking when I began seeking out recipes with limited steps and ingredients and that include some of my favorite things (a spice, a main item, etc). A cookbook or recipe collection with photos also helps! Best for making your resolution happen.

Karen Nicola said...

Is this Joanna, Julie or Julia? Having just watched that great film, I can see why you are inspired to create loving, wholesome meals for the people who are the most important to you. Yes, food is more about love than anything--loving the process of shopping, loving the creativity of putting it all together, loving the moment when it is all on the table and looks beautiful, but most of all, loving the people you share your meals with. May you keep your passion for using the best and most healthy ingredients possible. I'm having so much fun watching you make great choices in how you live! Always MOM